To find local public transportation and Paratransit services:
- The Yellow Pages of many telephone books have a special section in the front of the book with the names and addresses of service organizations. Look for the names of agencies that provide transportation for special needs.
- Contact the local Area Agency on Aging, check the Eldercare Locator for your zip code, or call the Eldercare Locator toll-free number at 1-800-677-1116.
- The National Transit Hotline can provide the names of local transit providers who receive federal money to provide transportation to the elderly and people with disabilities. Call Toll Free 1-800-527-8279.
- Check the National Transit Database or the American Public Transit Association Local and State Links Page to find contact information and the web site of the public transit system for most metropolitan areas in the U.S.
- If you don't have access to a local phone book (perhaps you are a relative that lives somewhere else), use the online Yellow Pages of My Yahoo (first input the correct zip code to get to the correct city). Look up taxi or bus services.
The programs listed below are some of the "best of class" senior transportation programs identified in the Supplemental Transportation Programs for Seniors research done by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety.